These are my final (for now) thoughts about goals; if you have something to add, please do so in the comments.
- Make sure you don’t have life goals that disagree with each other. For example, you can’t work on being a bodybuilder and a distance runner at the same time.
- The longer you wait to start, the less likely you will pursue the goal.
- You need reality checks. Sometimes life will do it, sometimes people will do it. Appreciate both.
- Don’t look for shortcuts. You can’t give half effort building a house and expect it to stand.
- Don’t “hope” your way to failure. Hoping you succeed doesn’t replace the hard work necessary to accomplish meaningful goals.
- Don’t set goals that are contrary to God’s will for your life. And don’t act like God’s will is some unknowable mystery. Pick up a Bible, read a commentary, pray, at least ask somebody!
- Don’t give up just because it’s taking “too long”.
- If you realize you’ve been wasting your time pursuing certain goals, give up! Don’t keep pushing because you want to finish something!
- If you can’t convince yourself that you can do it, move on.
- Share your plans with people who know more than you. You’d rather be redirected now than be an independent failure.
- When you know you’re on the right path, and you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, keep walking and trust God. You will not be disappointed.